NARL Club 2016 General Meetings:
7:00 pm at the Newington Senior Center
120 Cedar Street, Newington
First Monday of every month except holidays
Board of Directors Meetings: as announced by President.
NARL Club Sanctioned Events for 2016:
- NARL INFO NET - Every Thursday, 7:30 PM on 145.450MHz, minus 600 offset, pl 127.3
- September 27 - November 15 - NARL EXTRA class, 6pm to 8:30 pm Tuesdays. Instructors AB1GL and WA1YNE. Please email email@example.com to reserve a seat; observers and kibitzers welcome! Class meets in 2nd floor of Lucy Welles Library except for Oct 4 session at the Senior Center.
- October 3 - NARL General member meeting. Nominations for 2007 officers accepted. 7 pm, Newington Senior Center, 120 Cedar Street.
2016 Public Service Events, communications provided by NARL
The Newington Amateur Radio League (NARL) is a local non-profit organization that provides as a public service, free of charge, volunteers for communications. In the recent past, we have provided comms for charity walks and races, river regattas, bike and motorcycle rides, outdoor events and parades.
Why ask for ham radio operators for your event?
- If the event venue has poor cell coverage (ham radios have more power and better antennas, don't rely on cell towers)
- If attendance will be so large that cell subscribers won't get dial tone (if thousands of spectators reach for their phones at the same time, the local cell towers will overload)
- If your event leaders will be too busy to answer their phones (hams are trained to "shadow" leaders and free them from the burden of working phones and walkie-talkies)
- If the event covers a large area (normal handi-talkies only work line-of-sight, while hams can use repeaters or skywaves.)
- If interoperability is necessary (ham radios are open transmissions that everyone can hear)
- You need volunteers who are trained to interface with Incident Commanders from all the major first responders
- Our services are absolutely free of charge, as required by law
- You are helping us by giving us an occasion to test our equipment and practice our skill and art
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org several months in advance of your event to allow for proper planning.
Non-NARL but ham related:
Know of an event in 2016 of interest to hams? Email AB1GL@arrl.net and we'll post it here.
- Oct 1 - NTS Traffic Handler's Brunch, contact KB1NMO for details.
- Oct 16 - Nutmeg Hamfest, Sheraton Four-Point Hotel, 275 Research Parkway, Meriden CT 06450. 8am-2pm, $7.00 admission. VE session, ARRL Section meeting with new SM K1DFS. Presentations on JT65 and Skywarn.
- Oct 19 - CHIRP webinar held on the internet by ARRL. 8 PM Wednesday. Register on the ARRL web site.
- Nov 2 - Governor's EPPI drill, 0800-1400.